Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Consistency is god: 100 Chicos fail to deliver

I wish this was a happy tale, but instead I bring disappointments.
The story is quite simple: I visited 100 Chicos again, ordered the same sandwiches I had last time and was served something something similar, only it wasn't the same product.


beef short rib, chicken satay, Moroccan style eggplants
Left to right: beef short rib, chicken satay, Moroccan style eggplants, fries


Beef short rib asado: this time the meat wasn't pulled, nor there were there large chunks, and there were no charred and smoked "ends", just thin slices. But that wasn't the deal breaker. In the past the sandwich contained sweet gravy. Several times it was served dry, but that was okay since the meat was fatty and juicy, and there were vegetables to moisten things up - this time mustard was added, a great condiment but it wasn't a good combination.

Chicken satay: the meat was thinly sliced, almost like shawarma, unlike the big bite size nuggets of past.

Morrocan eggplant: the ingredients were all minced together to a coarse paste, where previously there were bits and slices and pieces. To me it was an unpleasant surprise since the texture snuck up on me while I was expecting a chew-able bite, but the flavors were still the same. 


Some might say I'm just like to complain, others might suggest that they're still working on the sandwiches, adjusting the menu - which was what I was told by the owner, but personally I find it very important for foods to stay the same. It prevents unpleasant surprises and customers sending their dishes back (which I didn't). 
The owner is a nice guy so I had the chance to talk to him about this freely, and he wasn't defensive at all, he said that at this point they're still trying new stuff, taking notes and adjusting according to customer's input.
I really appreciated the fact he was so open, and that they truly care for other people's opinions instead of just forcing the creative vision of the person behind the menu.
I left feeling pleased, which I discovered is actually better than just being a hater and walking home angry.
All well that ends well.

2 comments:

  1. THE SANDWICHES ARE SMALLER THAN THE FRIES
    I CAN NOT LIVE WITH THAT NOTION

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are satisfactory in size and so cheap you can buy a dozen for the price of one normal sized meal.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...